Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What have I bought for those same desires?

What educational tools have I learned from, CDs, books, programs, what's on my shelf?


CISSP Study Guide by (ISC)^2
Why? reputation, desire to expand teaching knowledge, reference, discount
Timing? When creating a training class
Perception of what it would do for me? Provide good resource for me to create content
What did it do for me? Disappointment in poor quality, choppy formatting & editing

Information Security Management Handbook by Tipton & Krause
Why? Recommendation of boss & colleagues, reputation of book, Hal & Micki
Timing? Preparing for CISSP exam
Perception of value? Provide solid overview of InfoSec fundamentals
What did it do for me? Did as expected, great overview except snooze chapter on TLS; However, format was difficult because it wasn't a study guide, but a reference book.

Thinkertoys
Why? Engaging title, puzzles, intruiging book - curious
Timing? No special timing
Perception of value? Thought it would help me think better
What did it do for me? Collected dust

Pampered Chef Program
Why? Quality products, Good value, discounting, income
Timing? Had free time, at a party, tools were in front of me
Perception of value? Ability to start my own business, good tools
What did it do for me? Successful, gave me income, but trading hours for dollars

Dale Carnegie
Why? Recommendation by colleagues & boss, funded by company, good format
Timing? met development need in timeframe required by company
Perception of value? Become better at speaking
What did it do for me? Dramatic improvement in speaking; didn't last

RSA Conference(s)
Why? reputation, request of boss, great lineup of speakers & topics, huge event, nice venue, paid by company
Timing? No special timing except that I was available
Perception of value? Launch of new career being helped by solid training
What did it do for me? Networking, knowledge, references, experience

TLI
Why? Recommendation, past experience, encouraged by peers
Timing? Good timing when taking new position
Perception of value? Teach me everything I need to know as new officer
What did it do for me? Disappointing in some regards -- didn't meet expectations, but solid training and I learned a HUGE number of tips & pointers; difficult to capture and put into practice except through repetition

RHCT
Why? Gain specific knowledge about Red Hat, starting new job, convenience, paid by company
Timing? taking new corporate job, needed skills for job
Perception of value? Strong brand, hands-on, qualified & certified instructor, certification
What did it do for me? Good overview and jumpstart

MBA Program
Why? Convenient, (nearly) free, good school reputation, benefit my career, pursuit of PhD
Timing? Easy timing and easy to attend
Perception of value? Good knowledge, value of sheepskin/credential, applicability to work
What did it do for me? Strong tie to work, technical and business acumen, communication skills, thinking on my feet and critical thinking, helped land a job.

No comments: