Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Understand the value proposition

Why did I purchase Darren's program?
  1. Reputation of Darren & his materials
  2. Recommendation of friends
  3. The challenge that Darren gave in his speaking
  4. I've taken my paid speaking career far, but want to kick it into high orbit
  5. Recent windfall speaking fee gave me capital to invest in my development
  6. Format seemed a good fit with what I could reasonably accomplish
  7. Good timing
  8. Heard message repeatedly, no longer sitting on the fence.
Timing: I wouldn't have purchased this last year. I heard Darren give a very similar talk a year ago, and didn't invest due to sticker shock. I wouldn't have bought until now.

Did it answer a question?
yes - I want the answers to a myriad of questions

Did it show me a possibility?
yes, the possibility that I can get paid for other than relaying technical knowledge, and start getting paid for seminars and keynotes I'm doing for T&E

Did this meet a need or want?
Yes, the desire to achieve independence, higher competency, compensation & success, and the need to have a guide on how to get there.

Did the immediacy of the title influence my decision?
Possibly. The title is important, very similar to the Learn C++ in 28 days. That immediacy and sense of urgency feeds the desire for quick action, quick results, fast ROI. Action oriented.

Other reasons
What I read on Darren's website was a strong motivator, because he let me understand for the first time how keynotes are booked and what defines a successful speech.

Was there something I saw in the materials that helped me decide, something of value?
How was my buying decision similar to the user experience of buying a book?

Why Darren's program and not someone else's program?
  • I've heard Darren speak before, and he is genuine, and I see myself in his journey.
  • Kudos and accolades from colleagues
  • Title and packaging seemed a good format
  • Format and availability -- it was in front of me and easy to pull the trigger
How will my customers perceive the information that I have, and how can I create that desperate, passionate desire to buy what I'm selling? How can I fulfill desire? How can I create a compelling sense of immediacy and urgency?

Am I presenting information in the style and format that causes their brain to make the leap to, "How can I get more of what this person is teaching me?"

How can I keep my information, my brand, in front of event planners and foremost in their brains?

No comments: